Don’t let fake webistes and online stores dampen your shopping spirit. Before you click the ‘Buy’ button on any online store, check out these tips to help you enjoy safer online shopping.
1. Shop at websites you trust
2. Check out the business
3. Beware rock-bottom prices
4. Avoid public Wi-Fi
5. Create strong passwords for your online store account
If someone has the password to your account, they can log in, change the shipping address, and order things while you get stuck with the bill. Help keep your account safe by locking it with a strong password — “Santa123” won’t do. Here are some tips on how:
- Use a complex set of at least 10 lowercase and uppercase numbers, letters, and symbols.
- Don’t use personal information that others can find or guess, such as birthdates, your kids’ names, or your favorite color.
- Don’t use the same password — however strong — on multiple accounts. A data breach at one company could give criminals access to your other, shared-password accounts.
6. Check out website security
That small lock icon in the corner of your URL bar tells you that the web page you’re on has privacy protection installed. The URL will start with “https.” These websites mask any data you share, typically on pages that ask for passwords or financial information. If you don’t see that lock or the “s” after “http,” then the webpage isn’t secure. There is no privacy protection attached to these pages, so we suggest you exercise caution before providing your credit card information over these sites.
7. Watch out for email scams
Sometimes something in your email in-box can stir your holiday consumer cravings. For instance, it might be tempting to open an email that promises a “special offer.” But that offer could be special in a bad way. Clicking on emails from unknown senders and unrecognizable sellers could infect your computer with viruses and malware. It’s better to play it safe. Delete them, don’t click on any links, and don’t open any attachments from individuals or businesses you are unfamiliar with.
8. Don’t give out too much information
Stay safe while shopping on Motive Mall ♥